Public Policy Associates (PPA) provides clients with the evaluation, research, and strategic consultation they need to make smart public policy decisions that improve lives, enrich communities, and strengthen institutions. PPA assists clients in the areas of education, healthy communities, justice, and economic and workforce development. We work nationally; so far, our projects have taken us to nearly 40 states plus Puerto Rico. Our work involves a wide range of data-collection methods, implementation evaluation, cost analysis, quasi-experimental and experimental designs, facilitation of diverse cross-sector groups, and policy briefs, among other approaches and deliverables.
We are seeking a full-time Senior Research Associate to contribute substantially to statistical analysis of privately held and public data sets. This position may work across PPA’s policy areas and may serve as a principal investigator on research studies, provide task leadership in evaluations, and fill other team roles in projects and business development activities as assigned. The work will include:
- Method selection and proposal development
- Quantitative data collection
- Data merging and management
- Literature review
- Descriptive and inferential statistics
- Data visualization
- Summarizing findings and policy implications for diverse audiences, including for journal publication
This position does not have staff supervision responsibilities. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Values collaboration, creativity, equity, excellence, and integrity.
- Skilled in data management, quantitative analysis, synthesis from multiple sources, and interpretation.
- Experienced working with diverse populations and examining data using an equity lens.
- Able to work well with others and independently.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Communicates effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledgeable about contemporary policy issues, including human services and education topics.
- Able to explain statistical concepts and data findings to lay audiences in addition to articulating designs and analytical approaches to team members.
- Works proficiently in Stata, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and is able to adapt quickly to other software.
- Carefully adheres to human-subject protections and data security.
- Skilled in data visualization preferred.
- Conceives creative, feasible, and rigorous study designs for varied contexts and parameters.
- Doctorate in a relevant field and at least five years of experience conducting research and data analysis.
PPA’s office is in Lansing, Michigan. This position is eligible for 100% remote work within the U.S., although occasional travel to Lansing is required. Other travel within Michigan and around the country may also be required.
PPA offers an annual salary commensurate with experience. Benefits for full-time, overtime-exempt staff include health insurance, 401k contributions, three weeks’ paid leave per year in addition to 10 paid holidays per year, professional development, and the opportunity to share in company profits.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, the PPA application, a resume, and a writing sample of no more than 10 pages to email@example.com. The writing sample may be an excerpt of a longer paper. Incomplete applications are not considered.
The position will begin in fall 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
PPA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all qualified individuals to apply.