Public Policy Associates (PPA) recruits diverse and talented researchers who are passionate about public policy, and highly skilled in analyzing information and developing innovative solutions to meet clients’ needs.
Every staff member at PPA plays a critical role in the success of projects and of the firm. They take a deep, personal responsibility for their work and play active roles in shaping their day-to-day activities while meeting the needs of our clients.
At PPA, we embrace diversity. We recognize that a diverse staff provides broader insights and perspectives and enriches both our workplace and our work product.
Research Associate I
Public Policy Associates (PPA) provides clients with the evaluation, research, and strategic consultation they need to make smart public policy decisions that improve lives, enrich communities, and strengthen institutions.
Our focus areas are education (early childhood, K-12, and postsecondary), healthy communities (food systems, housing, etc.), justice, and economic and workforce development. We work within Michigan and nationally. So far, our projects have taken us to 38 states and Puerto Rico.
Across our projects, we do a wide range of activities, such as: talking to community members about their program experiences, examining federal and state datasets, conducting scans of policies across states, and translating research into actionable recommendations for organization leaders.
PPA blends serious work with a friendly, supportive work environment. We work hard because we know this work matters. We also recognize the importance of flexibility, fun, and comradery in bringing our best selves to the job. This includes respecting staff members as individuals and valuing their strengths, thoughts, and experience. If you would like to work with a bunch of smart, interesting, and family-oriented people, PPA might be the place for you!
This position is eligible for 100% remote work within the United States, although occasional travel to Lansing, Michigan (our office location) is required. Other travel within Michigan and around the country may also be required.
We are seeking to add a full-time Research Associate to our team. This entry-level position will contribute to multiple projects as assigned across PPA’s focus areas and support business development activities, such as proposal preparation and PPA communications. The work may include:
- Qualitative data collection (e.g., site visits, interviews, surveys, focus groups)
- Data management
- Data coding and basic statistics
- Literature reviews
- Supporting meetings
- Data visualization
- Issue brief preparation and report writing for different audiences
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Values collaboration, creativity, equity, excellence, and integrity.
- Demonstrates skill in data collection, management, and analysis.
- Has experience working with diverse populations and using an equity lens.
- Ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Communicates effectively verbally and in writing.
- Is well organized and detail oriented.
- Has the ability to concisely summarize data findings.
- Is proficient in Microsoft Office and is able to adapt quickly to other software.
- Carefully adheres to human-subject protections and data security standards.
- Knowledge of PPA policy areas helpful but not required.
- Has a master’s degree in relevant field and at least one year of relevant work experience, or possesses a bachelor’s degree in relevant field, is actively pursuing a master’s degree, and has at least two years of relevant work experience. Relevant fields of study include sociology, history, economics, cultural studies, political science, public administration, public policy, education, public health (non-clinical), social work (non-clinical), and criminal justice.
PPA offers a full compensation package, including competitive wages, paid leave, professional development, health and dental insurance, 401K, and more!
Applicants should submit the following materials to email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- PPA application form (publicpolicy.com/careers)
- Writing sample of no more than 10 pages.
PPA is an equal opportunity employer. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.