Public Policy Associates, Inc. (PPA) is a national research and evaluation firm serving foundations, government agencies, educational institutions, and nonprofits. PPA works in several policy areas to deliver research and analysis, program evaluation, strategic consultation, and other supports to sound policymaking. PPA values creativity, excellence, integrity, teamwork, learning, and diversity and inclusion.
We are seeking to hire an experienced senior research associate to model PPA’s values, lead social justice and equity work, and contribute to other projects and policy areas within PPA’s portfolio as needed. Central to this position is providing leadership and staff support to the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies to reduce disproportionate minority contact (DMC) within Michigan’s juvenile justice system. This position will work with a cross section of agency professionals and community partners to examine practices, including efforts to disaggregate data by race and ethnicity; implement cultural competency training; and increase awareness of alternatives to detention. A key function of this position is to identify—through research and evaluation of current practices—actionable, effective strategies for reducing DMC. This position educates clients on the prevalence of factors contributing to DMC and effective strategies towards reducing DMC.
- Knowledge of juvenile justice and delinquency prevention programs, efforts, and practices (including current Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention DMC Reduction Models); factors contributing to DMC; and actionable, evidence-based strategies to address DMC.
- Familiarity with measurement of DMC and other manifestations of racial inequities.
- Familiarity with the unique features of Michigan’s juvenile justice and child welfare system and with the range of relevant data systems in Michigan.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, consistent client and stakeholder relationships.
- Experience working with diverse populations and community leaders, such as judges, sheriffs, police chiefs, prosecutors, court administrators, school superintendents, and faith leaders. Some preexisting relationships with these leaders in Michigan is strongly preferred.
- Experience delivering education and consulting on racial-equity issues and strategies for addressing the consequences of inequities. Must be an effective group facilitator.
- Strategic thinker.
- Ability to contribute substantially to business development.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and is able to function well both independently and in teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use Stata and/or SPSS, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and to adapt quickly to other software.
- Master’s degree in a related discipline with minimum of five years of relevant work experience. Ph.D. preferred.
Lansing, Michigan, with periodic travel within Michigan and around the country.
PPA offers a competitive benefits package and compensation commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please apply via our web site at www.publicpolicy.com. Applicants should submit a cover letter, the PPA application, a resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
PPA is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.